At the end of the sixth century, St Colman Mac Duagh went to live in a cave in an isolated part of the Burren. He stayed there seven years before establishing a small monastery at Kilmacduagh, near Gort. The cave has been a place of pilgrimage since medieval times – the ruin of the small oratory presumably dates from that period.
The Vandaleur family were major landowners in Clare in the 18th and 19th centuries, notorious for tenant evictions both during the Famine and in the 1880s. The house, long since demolished, was located on the site of the present day carpark. The gardens and ancillary buildings have been wonderfully restored (and contain a beech maze and a life-size chess game) and admission is free…
St Fachtna founded a monastery here in the sixth century but it was raided on many occasions by the armies of both Connacht and Munster. The present church dates from the 12th century and features a particularly fine east window.
Poulawack burial cairn was excavated in 1935 and found to contain the remians of 18 people, buried at different times between 3350 BC and 1400 BC. It is about 21 metres in diameter and two and a half metres high, significantly smaller than when it was surveyed by TJ Westropp 100 years ago.