Carrigaholt Castle

Late 15th century, the castle withstood several sieges until captured by the Earl of Thomond in 1590. In spite of having promised to allow the defenders go free, they were all hanged. The bawn around the castle is supposedly haunted by the ghosts of Visount Clare and his regiment of horse, the “Yellow Dragoons”, raised to assist James II against the Williamites. William Penn, after whom Pennsylvania is named, stayed here on his way to America in 1646.

 The round turret overlooking the harbour was built in the 19th century.
The round turret overlooking the harbour was built in the 19th century.

1384239_363026150532853_428352245952892740_n

10301129_363025177199617_14660532196868002_n

10418173_363027537199381_9011035197165566220_n

The "murder holes" are visible above the doorway
The “murder holes” are visible above the doorway

Corcomroe Abbey

Corcomroe Abbey, the Burren, Co Clare

Dating from the end of the 12th century, the monastery was commissioned by local chieftain Conor O’Brien who, on the completion of the abbey, had the masons killed in order that that they could never build anything to rival it.

Stone vaulted roof of the choir
Stone vaulted roof of the choir

 

604138_360563180779150_8234641352712076764_n

Effigy of Conor O Brien
Effigy of Conor O Brien
Medieval etching of ship on the wall plaster in the choir. A long low hull with high prow and stern and one mast amidship
Medieval etching of ship on the wall plaster in the choir. A long low hull with high prow and stern and one mast amidship

10420318_360562917445843_9138835157295282783_n

10523356_360560940779374_3201187807247364505_n

10612785_360560847446050_1236321454844333724_n

10619997_360560767446058_4413204128976202299_o

Mac Duagh’s Hermitage

Mac Duagh’s Hermitage, Co Clare

At the end of the sixth century, St Colman Mac Duagh went to live in a cave in an isolated part of the Burren. He stayed there seven years before establishing a small monastery at Kilmacduagh, near Gort. The cave has been a place of pilgrimage since medieval times – the ruin of the small oratory presumably dates from that period.

The gable of the oratory
The gable of the oratory, with a leacht in foreground. These rectangular stone-built structures are often found in association with early churches. Their exact purpose is uncertain, but they may have been altars or prayer stations

10520425_313979355437533_4708239590378246047_n

The nearby well
The nearby well
St Mac Duagh's cave
St Mac Duagh’s cave

10509704_313979995437469_5919019334617139127_n

An Rath

An Rath, Ballyallaban, Co Clare

A large earthen ringfort, a rarity in the Burren. In remarkably good condition, the inner bank rises up to nine metres in height above the ditch, which often fills with water.

10407108_312714288897373_614098958802948039_n

1525567_312715132230622_1764784554467150558_n

10372738_312715248897277_6753564298221732770_n

10550812_312715388897263_5382509668216923801_n

Gleninagh Castle

Gleninagh Castle, Ballyvaughan, Co Clare

The 16th century L-shaped castle was occupied until about 1840. The first-floor doorway has an overhead machicolation, with circular machicolations on the other three corners.

10577083_312109675624501_227873930401908454_n

machicolations
The musket-holes can be seen in the defensive machicolations

1920376_312110688957733_4313181940659933261_n

 the tower house
The two waste-chutes can be seen in the north east corner of the tower house

Creevagh Wedge Tomb

Creevagh Wedge Tomb, The Burren

Wedge tomb in remarkably good condition. Single-slab sides and roof, with other uprights, indicating a small forecourt or antechamber.

10537357_310772119091590_1682623946875955821_n

994461_310773289091473_438426459715618542_n

1610758_310773829091419_4505400146449301905_n

10533721_310774495758019_5809363530941352826_n

Vandaleur Walled Garden

Vandaleur Walled Garden, Kilrush, Co Clare

The Vandaleur family were major landowners in Clare in the 18th and 19th centuries, notorious for tenant evictions both during the Famine and in the 1880s. The house, long since demolished, was located on the site of the present day carpark. The gardens and ancillary buildings have been wonderfully restored (and contain a beech maze and a life-size chess game) and admission is free…

10552506_308047779364024_2186354855655070740_n

10517947_308047996030669_9034943506225833521_n

10509541_308047842697351_7950672545742688342_n

10489765_308047912697344_7848404190300886362_n

10383557_308048142697321_7180998243680867105_n

10574211_308048102697325_2775289728904811595_n

10520654_308048232697312_3461487952695889230_n

Rathborney Church

Rathborney Curch, The Burren, Co Clare

The present church, located in an old ringfort dates from c.1500, although the lower parts of the north and east walls are somewhat older.

10525836_307449749423827_6630631348638864862_n1

10488207_307454629423339_4557637928719927122_n

994449_307454732756662_2916818185905360535_n

984150_307454842756651_9004103835863917692_n

10553347_307455246089944_6120383989625475550_n

bullaun stone
An old bullaun stone lying outside the church. Bullauns are often associated with ancient monasteries and churches. Smooth pebbles (curse stones or cure stones) would be turned in the basin, litanies recited and curses cast or cures effected. Another theory is that bullauns were used to hold sacred offerings of milk or water. More likely, though, is that they were used in the grinding of corn.

Grange Stone Circle

Grange Stone Circle, Co Limerick

The are around Lough Gur in co Limerick is an archaeological treasury – megalithic tombs, crannogs, ringforts, and the largest stone circle in Ireland.

stone circle
The stone circle is aligned with the rising sun on the summer solstice. Inside the circle, the earth was packed down and was littered with “Beaker” pottery.

 

ring of stones
The ring of continuous stones is backed by an earthern bank, It has been suggested that the bank, c. 9m in width, may have provided a stand where the audience could preserve ceremonies taking place inside the circle
wedge tomb
The nearby wedge tomb, dating from about 2500 BC. In 1833, it was reported that an old woman had resided inside the tomb for many years.
wedge tomb
When it was excavated in 1935 the bones of at least 8 adults and 4 children were found. Although there are no kerbstones visible, it is likely that the tomb was covered by a cairn

Kilfenora Cathedral

 Kilfenora Cathedral, Co Clare

St Fachtna founded a monastery here in the sixth century but it was raided on many occasions by the armies of both Connacht and Munster. The present church dates from the 12th century and features a particularly fine east window.

East window.
East window. See the sedilla or wall-tomb on the left with protruding bishops head above
Carved capital, east window
Carved capital, east window

10383952_305047226330746_2086679059210487829_n

The Doorty High Cross, dating from 1152
The Doorty High Cross, dating from 1152

10368470_305048609663941_1430159785876791323_n